WEBSITES ON SPECIAL HEALTH FOCI
For Autoimmune or Gut Dysfunction
- Chris Kresser – Chris Kresser, M.S., L.Ac., is a renowned expert, leading clinician, and top educator in the fields of Functional Medicine and ancestral health, and the New York Times-bestselling author of The Paleo Cure.
- DrAxe.com – Dr. Josh Axe, DC, DNM, CNS, is a doctor of chiropractic, certified doctor of natural medicine and clinical nutritionist with a passion to help people eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle. Dr. Axe founded the website DrAxe.com, which is one of the top natural health websites in the world today. Its main topics include nutrition, natural medicine, fitness, healthy recipes, home DIY remedies and trending health news. His website includes a group of credentialed editors, writers and a Medical Review Board.
- Kharrazian Resource Center – Datis Kharrazian, PhD, DHSc, DC, MS, MMSc, FACN is a Harvard Medical School trained and award-winning clinical research scientist, academic professor, and world-renowned functional medicine health care provider. He develops evidence-based models to treat autoimmune, neurological, and unidentified chronic diseases with non-pharmaceutical applications.
- Mercola.com – Dr. Joseph Mercola founded Mercola.com in 1997 as a portal for natural health information and resources. It is one of the first health websites established to cater to readers who are interested in holistic medicine.
- Dr. Ruscio – Dr. Michael Ruscio is a Doctor of Natural Medicine, Doctor of Chiropractic, clinical researcher and author. His work has been published in peer-reviewed medical journals and he is a committee member of the Naturopathic Board of Gastroenterology research division.
- Amy Myers MD – Dr. Amy Myers MD, was the founder and Medical Director at Austin UltraHealth from 2010-2018, where she helped thousands of patients with autoimmune, thyroid, and digestive issues reverse their conditions and reclaim their health. She authored the books The Autoimmune Solution and The Thyroid Connection, along with her Amazon #1 Bestseller, The Autoimmune Solution Cookbook.
- Palmer Kippola – Palmer Kippola was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) when she was 19 but beat it after 20 years. Her bestselling book, Beat Autoimmune, distills 3 decades of experience, research, and client successes into a simple framework called F.I.G.H.T.S.™ for Food, Infections, Gut health, Hormone balance, Toxins and Stress.
All of the sources mentioned above, especially Myers and Kharrazian who are expert in thyroid and have books on the subject. They have thyroid-specific books informed by many years in clinical practice.
- Thyriodpharmacist.com – Dr. Izabela Wentz, PharmD. has an informative website, easy to navigate and rich with resources. She also has a podcast about her own experience living for many years with undiagnosed Hashimoto’s then treating it to remission, which she breaks things down to be easily understandable. Her book Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause summarizes three years of research and two years of testing. She has no clinical experience and has never treated any patient, she has treated herself and is very book smart.
- Thyroid Nation – This website has great info and support on thyroid illness
- Thyroid30 – is a 30-day app-based wellness game with support for treating Hashimoto’s.
Books related to autoimmune
The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor’s 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
The Autoimmune Solution: Prevent and Reverse the Full Spectrum of Inflammatory Symptoms and Diseases
Palmer Kippola’s book Beat Autoimmune (with Mark Hyman, the director of the functional medicine dept at Cleveland Clinic)*
Anything by Terri Wahls* who addresses the power of diet to treat autoimmune disease – Wahls has MS, is in remission, and has been the PI on numerous studies
The Thyroid Connection: Why You Feel Tired, Brain-Fogged, and Overweight — and How to Get Your Life Back
Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? when My Lab Tests Are Normal: a Revolutionary Breakthrough in Understanding Hashimoto’s Disease and Hypothyroidism
*Kippola and Wahls are the most strict/least flexible but incredibly knowledgeable. Myers and Blum are a better place to start –
Podcast – Phoenix Helix – award-winning podcast that is all autoimmune, all the time
Functional medicine and biohacking – High-level science
FoundMyFitnes – Dr. Rhonda Patrick
Rhonda Patrick on the Joe Rogan show (longer shows; more friendly to the lay public)
Ben Greenfield Fitness – Diet, Fat Loss and Performance Advice
Chris Kresser – well-known functional medicine leader
Bulletproof Radio with Dave Asprey – #1 Biohacking Podcast – Dave’s name is in Merriam Webster’s as he invented the word biohacking!
Other solid functional medicine shows
Natural MD Radio Archives – Aviva Romm MD – women’s health
Dr. Michael Ruscio, BCDNM, DC – specialist in gut health
More light-weight, but great topics
The Doctor’s Farmacy – Podcast by Dr. Mark Hyman, director of Cleveland Clinic and Ultra Wellness Center
Broken Brain with Dhru Purohit (also produced by Mark Hyman)
The Urban Monk Podcast Archives
Wellness Force – Discovering Physical & Emotional Intelligence
FOOD AND FITNESS
Love to cook? Living Loving Paleo is your stop.
And a couple great places for cooking tips are Wholesomelicious – a great site if you like to cook, and so is Downshiftology – delicious and very clean and simple methods.
Need coaching? Angie Alt and Mickey Prescott’s AIP Community program rolls AIP diet out in a really tolerable fashion, and is less expensive than a health coach! Autoimmunewellness.com. Listen to a podcast with Chris Kresser interviewing Angie Alt about her research, showing outcomes of her intervention.
And Datis Kharrazian will teach you how to maintain oral tolerance by varying your foods, while still staying on AIP!
Thrive Market has very low prices on great shelf staples and snacks that are healthy.
And Nature Box for snacks, too –
Love meat and fish? Butcher Box makes things healthy for you and for the environment, while keeping your choices cost effective as well. So does Belcampo.
You can find companies that will do all your food prep for you such as Paleoonthego.com and there is ShopAip.com (AIP = autoimmune protocol) also for snacks and ingredients.
There are many good companies that will deliver meals specialized to what you can eat or tolerate; You can order from Thistle , Methodology, Model Meals or Paleo On the Go. A recent analysis found Splendid Spoon to be healthful and affordable, followed by Daily Harvest and Revive. But there are soooo many, and they are all listed here!
Be sure to see the comments list, as readers add more services to the list –
There is one fitness suggestion, for it is autoimmune-specific – Autoimmune Strong, exercising and getting strong while living with chronic illness.